A protect ability allows a card to be unaffected by special abilities or game rules that would normally affect it.
How to PlayEdit
A card cannot be targeted by an ability from which it is protected. Game rules do not apply to a card that is protected from the effect of the game rule.
All protect abilities are ongoing. A protect ability targets the cards that gain protected status.
- Protect abilities last until the end of the phase in which they are used.
- Protect abilities target cards in play.
- Characters cannot be protected from themselves.
- Protection from cards only protects from being targeted by the special abilities of those cards, not from game rules influenced by those cards.
- Protection from effects protects from game rules that result in those effects and cards with special abilities that result in those effects.
- The phrases “cannot be” and “may not be” and “prevented from being” mean the same as “protected from.” (Note: “may not be” indicates a protect ability when it appears as its own phrase but not when it appear as part of a longer phrase such as “may not be blocked by.” “Cannot be negated ,” “cannot be prevented ,” and “cannot be interrupted ” are similar to protect abilities but are not protect abilities. They each have their own special ability type defined elsewhere in this wiki.)